Why would a Realtor want to help people succeed with for sale by owner? The main reason is I want to help you make the best decision for you and your family.
Some common questions you should think about answers to “Why do I want to sell?”
- What will a new home offer that my existing home does not?
- Do I need to sell within a certain amount of time?
- How much preparation or repair work is needed to sell my home?
- Do I have enough equity in my home to make a down payment on a new house and/or achieve other financial goals?
- Is making a profit on the sale of my home a must? If so, how much of a profit?
- Where will I live next?
Think about your motive for selling and then create a selling strategy tailored to it.
If you are highly motivated sell (ASAP) really think about how you are going to beat your other competitors on the market.
- Updated Kitchen & bathrooms
- Small rehab before sale < 2,000 (New Paint, Fixing Existing problems, Landscaping, cleaning)
- and most importantly PRICE
Without a realtor to help guide the pricing of your property, do your homework to come to a competitive price.
- Comparative Market Analysis
- Paying a buyer’s agent 3%
- Pay to get on MLS
- Create a professional ad to post on forums and social media
- Professional pictures
- How are you going to show the property? Do you work 8-5, are you going to be able to show the property to any interested buyers?
- Zillow, Trulia, etc.
- Open houses
- Determine what you need to get on the house to secure the right amount of equity
- Is now a feasible time to sell?
While selling your own property might seem like it can save you a lot of money (roughly 6%) of purchase price, its not a fail-proof plan.
- 93% of buyers find their home using a realtor
- 90% of FSBOs do not succeed and later sell with a realtor
- FSBOs tend to have an emotional attachment to property
5 Reasons FSBOs Fail
- Not enough marketing (if any, cannot just put a sign in the yard)
- Unable to negotiate
- Don’t understand how to take offer to close
At the end of the day, using a realtor will in fact save you money and countless hours trying to sell the home yourself. Realty South on average gets a 10% higher sales price then competitors. We have the biggest buyer pool in the entire state of Alabama. We know how to get the job done.